The natural world is a divine trust to be used sustainably and to inspire the development of culture and heritage for the betterment of the world.
Sealskin Carrying Bag
My Dene ancestors specially designed and created their unique carrying bags for gathering foods from the land and for hunting purposes. I was born in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories (NWT) and I lived among the Inuit of Cambridge Bay, Nunavut for many years and felt accepted as family. As a designer and creator that uses sealskin and accented by hides and fur, I create modern original items based on traditional life experiences using these natural fabrics from both territorial Indigenous cultures.
Proudly Indigenous Crafts & Designs (PIC&D) is helping people of the world understand that seal fur continues to be sustainably and ethically sourced from Inuit hunters who hunt a small amount of seals as their food source and use the hides for their cultural clothing, footwear and art. Each handmade original bag is unique and will evolve continually to pay respect to the seal culture and Inuit culture by showcasing the beauty and functionality of sealskin.
Thank you for helping keep sealing and cultural traditions alive through the arts.
- NWT and Nunavut natural seal skins
- Bottom, sides, cut outs, piping, handles & straps made of full-grained bison and/or moosehide – dyed black, lightly pebbled variation across hide showing top leather texture in purest form
- Top heavy weight zipper, bison zipper pull
- Bottom insert
- Bag feet
- Identification tag
- 10″H x 19.25″W x 10″D
- Handle drop length: 7.5 inches
About seal fur
- Seal fur is ethically sourced in Canada from Indigenous sources when available.
- Seal fur is dyed according to environmental rules in Canada.
- Product made carefully to highest quality.
- We will mail via post within Canada and to other countries. Shipping time may depend on Covid 19 postal timeframes. Otherwise shipping will be 5 – 10 days in Canada and 10 – 14 days to other countries.
- Shipping: $20.00
- No exchange or returns.